Date:      Thu, 15 Jan 1998 20:24:47 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        sysop@inlandnet.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Diamond MM Fireport 20/40

> Hi -
>
> The Diamond MM Fireport 20 does not seem to work with FreeBSD. It is based
> on the NCR (SymBIOS) 53C875 chip and seems to have the generic BIOS but does
> not appear to be recognized by FreeBSD.
[...]
> If the Diamond MM Fireport boards do not work, it may be noteworthy in the
> FAQs or compatible hardware list. My purchase of the Fireport 20 was based
> on the idea that it was supported because it uses the 53C875 chip. FYI: I
> installed from the Walnut Creek CDROM distribution of FreeBSD 2.2.2.

The Fireport 40 uses a slightly different chip ID/revision ('875j) than
FreeBSD 2.2.2 knew about. FreeBSD 2.2.5 should work perfectly. There was
a patch posted in the list archives that you could use as a quick fix.

Looking at /usr/src/sys/pci/ncr.c on my recent 2.2.5 I see:

#define NCR_875_ID      (0x000f1000ul)
#define NCR_875_ID2     (0x008f1000ul)

If you simply change your NCR_875_ID to the NCR_875_ID2 value shown,
then rebuild your kernel, you'll be in business. I think. Your Mileage
May Vary. Perform At Your Own Risk. Etc.