Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 1997 10:45:28 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        gmarco@giovannelli.it (Gianmarco Giovannelli)
Subject:   Re: a c at the place of x (tar error)

As Jim Bryant wrote:

> i think that if a formal survey were done, nobody has made this
> mistake [heh, heh], but then you are one of the brave few who have
> admitted to such braindeath [we all should be so brave].
>
> try this:
>
> tar -tvzf /dev/nr[sw]t[0-7]
>
> that will skip past the "oops" archive.
>
> next
>
> use dd to get the remainder of the damaged archive.
>
> next

Sheesh!

You should at least have a little knowledge about tape drives before
posting...

Your suggestion won't work.  EOM (``end of recorded medium'', as the
SCSI specs call it) is a condition that is caught inside the drive
itself.  You can't position a tape behind this spot as long as the
tape's firmware adheres to the SCSI specs.  (Companies specializing on
data recovery are said to have drives with patched firmware for just
this purpose.)

The only trick that, as rude as it sounds, would work is the
following:

Start writing some archive to the tape (preferrably some junk that
doesn't interfere with the data you're going to recover, but don't
just write NULs since programs like tar(1) might misinterpret them as
the end of their archive).  Just after this process started, turn off
the power of the tape drive(!).  This prevents the drive's firmware
from recording the EOM mark that it would normally add.  Now, turn
power on again, rewind the tape, try skipping the junk you've just
written (which must have been large enough to clobber the previous EOM
mark), and try to make some sense out of the data that became visible
again.

Seriously, getting used to always write-protect your tapes after
taking them out of the drive is the simpler method...

--
cheers, J"org