Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 23:48:19 +1000
From:      jesse reynolds <jesse@va.com.au>
To:        Arjan van der Oest <arjan@nl.demon.net>, "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@clari.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cable modems and FreeBSD

At 1:54 PM +0200 18/10/1999, Arjan van der Oest wrote:
>On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Daniel O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> > How hard is it to connect to a cable modem service with FreeBSD?
> > I'm thinking of getting a Foxtel connection, which uses the Motorola
> > 10Mbps/768kbps system.
>
>I'm using a FreeBSD 3.1-r machine, connected to UPC cable services here in
>Amsterdam. The LANCity connects directly to a 10 Mbit/h NIC. According to
>UPC I need to DHCP my NIC but after doing this once manually, my IP never
>changed and I hardcoded this in rc.conf. I believe 3.3-r supports DHCP by
>default from floppyboot.
>
>Btw: I'm NAT'ting on this FreeBSD machine to a small local net for a
>windows machine and my laptop. Works excellent, although I hope UPC is
>not subscribed to this list :)
>
>I'm not sure how this Foxtel connects to your machine, but if it's via a
>NIC, you're safe. I don't have any experience with a serial cablemodem.

BTW, the cable-modems here in Australia (Foxtel's) do radio frequency
<-> ethernet (RF to 10BastT). I know someone who is using linux and
ipfw to run a NAT'd lan off the one IP that Foxtel give him (DHCP)
when he connects - he reports it works very well. No reason why it
shouldn't work on FreeBSD too.

--
       Jesse Reynolds - Virtual Artists Pty Ltd - http://www.va.com.au
                                                - http://virtual.artists