Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 2002 01:29:53 -0400
From:      "Mark W. Krentel" <krentel@dreamscape.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   dump on mounted fs

Dump still works on a mounted file system in Freebsd, right?  That is,
a write that completes before dump is started will be in the dump,
even if the data is in memory?  I don't mean writing to a file during
the dump, that's a separate problem.

I only recently learned that this doesn't work in Linux and I wanted
to check that it's (still?) ok in Freebsd.  Apparently, in the 2.4
Linux kernels, the buffer and page caches make it impossible for dump
to always get the correct version of a file, even if there are no
writes during the dump.  It takes a umount before dump will see all of
the changes (yuck).

Anyone know about Solaris, IRIX, etc?

--Mark