Date:      Sun, 2 Mar 1997 18:19:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@risc.org>
To:        Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        FREEBSD-CHAT-L <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 2.2 Compiler slower than 2.1? (was RSA 56-bit key challenge)

On Sun, 2 Mar 1997, Charles Henrich wrote:

> What IS vex anyway?  And how did it become associated with us
> FreeBSD folk?

    vex.net is an ISP in Toronto where many of the locals ended up
after a big telco swooped in a shut down our previous home, io.org
(see http://www.vex.net/~taob/ex-io.html if you want the gory,
political details).  Anyhow, it's my fault FreeBSD domainates the
list.  ;-)  I posted a message to freebsd-chat earlier this week
wondering if anyone else was participating in RSA's challenge, and
invited anyone with a spare CPU to join us.  :)

    Even though we started late, we are now among the top 10 teams in
terms of number of key blocks examined, making us one of the fastest
rising ones in this effort.  So far, the fastest CPU's are all running
FreeBSD.  ;-)
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@risc.org)