Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 2002 18:48:07 -0800
From:      BSD baby <bsd@hitmedia.com>
To:        Mark Phillips <mark@phillipsmarketing.biz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What is the difference between FreeBSD and OpenBSD...

(Hey I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I remember asking this same question on this same list many years ago.)

> What is the difference between FreeBSD and OpenBSD?

OpenBSD is best for simple things that you think many people might try to hack.  Also for anything that has multiple users with shell accounts on the box.  EXAMPLES: firewall, mailserver, fileserver, dns, and most webservers without massive traffic.

FreeBSD holds up under stress better.  Really popular/loaded webservers, database-servers.

I've been using OpenBSD for a few years and love it, but had to start moving my servers to FreeBSD as they got REALLY popular (50,000 unique users a day, on a dynamic MySQL-driven site.)   Still I'm glad I started with OpenBSD, and I still use it for everything else.

In my opinion, OpenBSD is a better BEGINNER BSD because it's just pre-configured for most things you want to do with it, "out of the box".    It's a harder one to fuck up.   From the sound of your question, I'd guess you're a BSD beginner, and so without even knowing what you want to do with it, I'd say go with OpenBSD, because it doesn't sound like you're about to sysadmin a massive server with huge loads/needs.

If you feel like giving more details on what you're thinking of using it for, I'll be glad to help.

> Which flavor of BSD is the most secure straight out of the box?

OpenBSD.