Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:39:51 +0100
From:      Olaf Greve <o.greve@axis.nl>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Blacklisting IPs

Hi,

> It's best to report them and it's not hard to do it.  There
> are automated tools that will do it.

I would be very interested in setting up such a tool on my server as
well. My passwords are not easy to guess, and root is not allowed to
login anyways, and changes are extremely slim that someone will guess
the one and only username/password combination that is actually allowed
to SSH and to su -.

Nonetheless, I find it annoying that some kids with nothing better to do
download these stupid brute force tools in order to call themselves
hackers. Duh!

Therefore, I could well do without having 22,000 lines of failed
attempts in my securityy logs (though as of late they haven't been that
long), and I wouldn't mind reporting the critters to their ISPs.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for such a tool?

It would be cool if the tool could spot such brute force attempts, and
when it sees e.g. more than 5 failed attempts from the same IP within
say 5 minutes of time, it would blacklist the IP, and would
automatically report the crack attempt to the ISP of the critters.

Anyone?

Cheerz!
Olafo