Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 2008 14:41:12 +0200
From:      Thomas Vogt <freebsdlists@bsdunix.ch>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pxe bootable freebsd rescue system?

Hello

I try to setup a FreeBSD PXE bootable rescue image.
I'm aware of the rescue mode on Disc1 on every FreeBSD CD. My goal is to
setup a non interactive session.

Boot via PXE, set a root password depends on the mac address, start ssh
and allow remote login.

Adrian Steinmann showed something similar at the Eurobsdcon 2005 in
Basel with "Single User Secure Shell, Installing small systems with
FreeBSD using the Secure Shell RAMdisk environment"

He uses a ssh key, where i have to set the root password during the
boot, depending on the mac adress.

This is not a big issue with linux systems, where most rescue systems
allow you to set password=xxx during the pxe boot.

Maybe someone has already done this and wants to share some information
with me :)

Regards,
Thomas