Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 12:47:08 +0100
From:      Nick Barnes <Nick.Barnes@pobox.com>
To:        George Reid <greid@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: interpreting UFS hard error messages

At 2001-06-12 14:32:37+0000, George Reid writes:
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Nick Barnes wrote:
>
> > 1. How should I interpret UFS hard error messages?
>
> The message you quoted was an ATA hard read error.  You should interpret
> this as "time to buy a new drive".

I know that, and I said as much in my original message.  However, this
is not a critical machine and I'm happy to keep it running until the
disk actually dies (in my experience this can be months rather than
days).  Also I would like to improve my understanding of the
filesystem and of messages such as this.  Can nobody answer my actual
questions?  To reiterate:

1. Did I get my sector number computation right?

2. Does the base system include any tool for automating this
   computation?

3. Why is the error message so useless?

4. Are there any tools for exploring a filesystem (e.g. figuring out
   which blocks belong to a file, or which file owns a block)?  How
   about tools for disk verification?  I've found dumpfs(8).

Nick B