Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 21:55:09 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: Sony laptop repair ?

Turnaround @ Sony varies from 3 days to about 4 weeks - the shorter
times are more recent from what I've heard and experienced.

I don't know how much the LCD would cost, but Sony tend to be a bit
expensive on the component front.... one laptop I sent back due to a
problem with the BIOS chip which had wine spilt on it about 6 months
previously (and had worked ok ever since) ended up being a choice
between #1300 to fix it (they figured it needed a new disk (#300) &
motherboard (#800)) or a replacement for #1100...  When I said that I
could buy an up-to-date model for about that and didn't believe that
the drive or motherboard were faulty, they charged me #90 to get the
bits back (including battery which I really shouldn't have sent along
in the first place).

The moral ?  Assume the worst I think.  Agree a price up front before
sending them anything.

Just my 0.02p

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>