Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 11:52:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Pouzzner <douzzer@mega.nu>
To:        ak@freenet.co.uk
Cc:        cg@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new device drivers for RME soundcard and G400-TV

>I think you will get a lot more replies if you re-post
>your message to freebsd-multimedia (cc'd).

I've added myself to that list.

>Secondly, the author and
>maintainer of the new pcm driver in 4-stable and -current is Cameron
>Grant (cg@freebsd.org)

That's the subsystem I'm working with.

-* uname -a
FreeBSD mega 4.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE #10: Mon Apr 24 19:27:08 EDT 2000     douzzer@mega:/usr/src/sys/compile/MEGA  i386

>I believe that newpcm was specifically designed to support advanced
>features of modern sound cards, and also to be easily extensible.

I think the best strategy is to document the procedure whereby an ALSA
driver is morphed into a newpcm driver, starting with the RME driver
as a test case and example.

>we
>should try to stay clear of GPLd code

No doubt.

>if
>porting the ALSA library would buy us support for a whole lot of new
>soundcards, it might be well worth it.

I'm going to try to have it both ways, by semi-automating the process
of transplanting ALSA card drivers into newpcm.

>If you discover that
>newpcm is not powerful enough to accommodate some of the more advanced
>features of your card, then we should find a way to improve it.

Fair enough.

-Daniel