Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 2004 15:40:35 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel compile warnings

--n8g4imXOkfNTN/H1

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 08:14:21AM +1000, Andy Farkas wrote:
>=20
> I noticed a few "strange looking warnings" fly by during a buildkernel so
> I checked the script-file:
>=20
> # grep "warning:" mkbk.out-20040610 | grep -v dereferencing | wc -l
>       50
>=20
> Some examples of the three largest offenders:
>=20
> src/sys/dev/drm/mga_state.c:250: warning: inlining failed in call to `mga=
_g200_emit_pipe'
> src/sys/dev/drm/r128_state.c:102: warning: inlining failed in call to`r12=
8_emit_context'

These are pretty harmless.  Functions over a certain size are not
inlined even if the programmer says to.  gcc is just telling the
programmer they were ignored.

> src/sys/dev/ie/if_ie.c:763: warning: passing arg 1 of `bcopy' discards qu=
alifiers from pointer target type

This driver one of the problem children of the tree.  The cards it
supports have generally been out of production for quite some time and
there aren't a whole lot of users left (certaintly not a lot of users
who are going to want to run 5.x on their hardware :).

> Are the Gods aware of these and should they be fixed?

In theory they should be fixed, but I doubt it will happen any time
soon.

-- Brooks

--=20

--n8g4imXOkfNTN/H1