Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 1995 22:24:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Rashid Karimov." <rashid@haven.ios.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Huuuge discrepancy between "last" and "who"

		Hi there folx,

		I run a server ( P90/PCI/etc ) under binaries from
		SNAP 0210 and almost -current kernel .
		I posted a Q here , conserning very high amount
		of telnetds running in the system ( out of pty's
		finally ) few days ago and now I have other interesting
		problem :

		if I run "last" - I c some 50-54 users being logged in,
		while "who" reports only 25-30 of them ...
		Is this normal ( I doubt it :) ?

		It was intersting , since system showed load average
		at 3-5% with reportedly only 30 online users , so
		finally after running "ps -axj" I was able to find
		a LOT of processes belonging to users , which were
		not logged in , accordingly to "who".
		Since the processes had rather decent run time ,
		obviously there were not frozen or zombie or whatever.
		And "last" output shows that thir owners were actually
		logged in ....

		=-=-=-= Extra Q ( 2 for the price of 1 ) :

		sometimes when I start "finger [user]" , the system
		spends some 40-60 secs till I get the result.
		And I can see _huuge HDD load on the system.
		Sometimes it works out in few seconds .
		The wtmp file size is about 1Mb ( will rotate it ).
		The passwd file has about 1800 entries.

	Rashid.