Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 02:11:17 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Jesper Skriver <jesper@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>, Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-hubs@FreeBSD.ORG, releng@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.4-RELEASE in 12 hours

Jesper Skriver wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 11:37:42AM +1000, jason andrade wrote:
> > On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Murray Stokely wrote:
> >
> > >   4.4-RELEASE should be available from ftp-master.FreeBSD.org within
> > > the next 12 hours.  As a reminder, this will be a rather large release
> > > with 5 ISO images (one mini-install image, and then a 4 CD set).
> > >

> > thanks for the notice murray.
> >
> > when it's on ftp-master, how much delay will there be before it makes
> > it to ftp.freebsd.org and other mirrors ?
>
> ftp.freebsd.org mirrors from ftp-master every 6 hours, but I guess
> it probably takes some hours to transfer the data from ftp-master
> to ftp
>
> /Jesper, one of the admins of ftp.FreeBSD.org

And a reminder to everybody, ****PLEASE**** make sure that you have some
sort of reentrancy locking on your rsync / cvsup / whatever scripts.

I've seen a couple of mirrors that were running 3 or 4 rsyncs in parallel
on the same file... each one corrupting the work that the others were doing
and causing the file to be trashed and start all over again next time around
etc.

Reminder: cvsup is available:

*default        host=ftp-master.freebsd.org
*default        base=/place/for/sup/directory
*default        prefix=/your-archive/pub
*default        delete use-rel-suffix compress
FreeBSD-archive release=all preserve

This will update /your-archive/pub/FreeBSD/*

Many people seem to be having more success with cvsup vs. rsync -z on the
large .iso files.

Sorry, I do not have finer granularity of release packages set up.

Cheers,
-Peter