Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 2016 16:48:40 +0100
From:      JosC <bsduser@cloudzeeland.nl>
To:        Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hosts

In een bericht van 28-2-2016 11:17:
> No because domain names are global in scope while MAC addresses are
> local.

Mac addresses are unique (you can fake/clone them but that is another
topic discussion) - imho they therefore can be used globally as well?
But saying that, it is in my case not a problem to use them locally as
the issue concerns my local network.

> You can set up DHCP to issue fixed addresses based on MAC.
I do use DHCP and fixed combined. Using this I am familiar with; my
issue is identifying hardware in a network that is partitially using DHCP.

Thanks,
Jos Chrispijn