Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 1999 00:09:56 -0500
From:      John <papalia@UDel.Edu>
To:        Michael Kennett <mike@laurasia.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   DNS (was: DNS & Virtual hosting)

Thanks for the quick response Mike - it's VERY appreciated.  Of course,
with every answer, there are more questions that I'm hoping you or someone
else might be able to help me with :)

>AFAIK, you're not really asking about `virtual' hosting. Indeed, it seems to
>me that what you want to do can be accomplished by setting up your machine
>with DNS (check out man named (8), and /usr/share/doc/smm/10.named).

I wasn't sure about the virtual hosting part... I've been looking at
playing with DNS for a while, but all the warnings in the conf files make
it a bit daunting.  But, what can I learn without trying :)  the file in
/usr/share/doc/smm/10.named - how/with what is that read?  It seems
readable in lynx, but quite a mess.

>With DNS, there need to be (at least) two machines that contain records for
>the foo.bar domain. Both of these machines should be available *all* the
>time (24 hours each day). You'd also need to find a friend/associate who is
>prepared to act as a `secondary' DNS server for your domain name.

I think I can find someone to ask to do that (hopefully).

>Finally, once you have a DNS server setup, the name will propagate out to
>the world. This propagation is controlled by the `expiry' time parameter
>in the DNS records -- if you set the expiry time to 4 weeks, you can't
>change (radically!) your setup the next day. Every 4 weeks the non-authorit-
>ative DNS servers will flush out (expire) the foo.bar domain records, and
>refetch them (when demanded) from an authoritative source.

Now, this is the kinda stuff that I need to learn before putting all my
eggs in my own DNS basket.  For example, the name propagates, but how?
This kinda makes it sounds like you don't even really have to go thru
NetworkSolutions or the other registration services to actually register?
That just kinda sounds odd (then again, I'm currently in the infancy of
knowledge on this :) ) Other than reading the entire O'Reilly book on Bind
and DNS, is there a how-to on configuring named?  I couldn't locate one on
freebsd, freebsddiary, or freebsdrocks.

>So yes, if you set up your own DNS, it would propagate!

Thanks again!!!!
--John Papalia