Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 00:19:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "restricted" kernel threads implementation from NetBSD via newconfig

:please yes..
:eventually we'll be using it to fire off a thread for every interrupt
:source if we go the BSDI way. (as dicussed with various people at USENIX)
:
:I was actually thinking about this today...
:
:now this is threads within the kernel, and not kernel support for user
:threads right?
:
:julian

    I think we desparately need a kernel threads implementation.  *Any*
    implementation, so we can start messing around with it! Even if it isn't
    the one we eventually choose.

    Once we have something we can add interrupt-thread support to it and
    then move some of the more innocuous interrupt-based device drivers
    over to it to generate test cases for the various SMP mechanisms people
    have been discussing.  I was thinking, specifically, of moving a few
    of the ethernet devices, which tend to have relatively simplistic
    interrupt-level code - a perfect test case for us because it will be
    fairly easy to port and fairly easy to measure performance under load.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>