Date:      Thu, 12 Dec 2002 10:14:19 +0100
From:      Andy Sporner <sporner@nentec.de>
To:        Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>, freebsd-cluster <freebsd-cluster@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sharing files within a cluster

Mike Hoskins wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Andy Sporner wrote:
>

>>Sequent used a Numa concept on their new machines (before IBM killed
>>them) and I am very familiar with this approach.   This allowed standard
>>applications to run without modifications (such as Oracle)...
>>

>NUMA is nice...
>
>I'm still looking into IBM's work and the stuff at lustre.org.  I'll
>probably start hacking as soon as I understand the architecture a bit
>better, but between work and my outdated coding skills I'm not expecting
>anything to actually work.  ;)

I have lost track since I have been here. I had a friend who was looking
to get me into
Base OS Group at Sequent before I came here (Hey is Kevin Smallwood
listening here???)
But I have no idea since then.

IMHO single image machines are more usefull to the majority of the
people doing clustering.
I wish we could all afford to be about to buy 1000 machines, but I think
this is out of the question.

The plan to publish a direction paper for a single image cluster is
still on target for the end of
the year.

Andy