Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 2002 13:37:30 -0800
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading the Portupgrade port

On 26 Dec 2002 at 13:21, Kent Stewart boldly uttered:
> On Thursday 26 December 2002 12:59 pm, Philip J. Koenig wrote:
> > On 26 Dec 2002 at 11:56, Kent Stewart boldly uttered:
> > > On Thursday 26 December 2002 03:35 am, Philip J. Koenig wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > Thanks for the tip, although I must admit I'm kinda surprised that a
> > 5-month-old version of anything is considered so "ancient" as to be
> > "un-upgradeable"... particularly a program designed to upgrade other
> > programs..  <shrug>
>
> The break point is around 20020907 and I can't be precise. Anything
> before that can't deal with ports that have disappeared. If you have a
> version before that, the easiest way is to delete portupgrade and its
> dependancies and reinstall it. Everything from ruby-1.6.8 to
> portupgrade is new so you don't lose any time but you do get a clean
> install on the first try.
>
> Running portsdb -F produces signal errors when you have a port installed
> that is no longer in the port tree. I don't remember if -fu worked at
> that point or not.

Yeah I have noticed some issue with ports that have gone away also.
I think it's part of what I was seeing in my other post about the
errors I see when running Portsdb -uU.

BTW, I assume you meant "pkgdb -F" rather than "portsdb -F".

--
Philip J. Koenig
pjklist@ekahuna.com