Date:      Sun, 18 Oct 1998 11:58:24 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Serial Console - broken? (src as of 10/16 @ 16:43)

On Saturday, 17 October 1998 at 20:42:20 +0100, Karl Pielorz wrote:

> Mike Smith wrote:
>
>> Um, try checking the flags on your serial console.  You should have 0x10
>> or 0x30, but 0x50 or 0x70 would be bad.  (ie. you don't want 0x40 set).
>>
>> Apart from that, there's the hideous fear that something leaked in and
>> GDB is the default debugger.  Ick.
>
> Hmmm... Serial console is definitely set to:
>
> device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" flags 0x30 tty irq 4 vector
> siointr
>
> I presume 'Ick' is bad, but how bad? - i.e. easily fixable?

Fixed.  It's a "bug" in Vinum: previously, if you called debug, even
to set the debug flags, it also set remote gdb debugging:

 vinum debug 8

sets request trace debugging.

 vinum debug

takes you into the remote debugger.

Now there's a separate flag (256) to set remote debugging.  To get
remote debugging, you must do

  vinum debug 256    (once)
  vinum debug	     (every time you want to enter the debugger)

I'm just packaging up a new version of the distributions.  Watch the
commit messages or the times on the ftp site.

Greg