Date:      Sat, 28 May 2005 16:08:46 +0300
From:      Bashar <big@kuwaitnet.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why Move . . .

Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:

>On Sat, 28 May 2005 11:43:14 +0300
>Phares Kariuki <pkariuki@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Im currently running fedora core 2. I was informed about this list by
>>a  friend running freebsd. Now what I wanted to ask is whether any one
>>of you  has used any redhat flavours, if so, what is the distinct
>>advantage of  moving to freebsd ( i have never used it), i cant just
>>

>The _only_ way you can find out if there is any advantage _for_ _you_ is
>to try it out for yourself. Find a machine, install FreeBSD on it, and
>use / play with for some time (a couple of weeks should do it).
>
>Note: if you are happy with whatever you have; don't change.
>If it works, don't fix it.
>If you want to learn something new, then you should take time to learn
>it.
>
>Just my 0.02 euros.

couldn't agree more, i'm a fbsd user myself yet i run few linux boxes
for other reasons such as client request or compatibility issues

its not advisable to move from production to another platform production
and you never touched FreeBSD, just play with it for few
as Torfinn point out and move when you feel comfortable.

Although migration from Linux to BSD is not the hardest thing todo i've
did it with live servers after digging around and knowing exactly
what is needed todo before just throwing things and praying to have
things work as expected, you always need todo some testing before
going to live.

Just my 2 fils ;)