Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2007 17:15:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nicole Harrington <drumslayer2@yahoo.com>
To:        rloefgren@forethought.net, Old Ranger <ranger@oldpathsbaptistchurch.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Devil Image

--- rloefgren@forethought.net wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, Old Ranger wrote:
>
> > Believe it or not, I actually had an irate woman
> complain to me about having a
> > "devil" image on our church website.  <sheesh>
>
> Nothing is more complete than the delusion
> that beauty equals goodness.
>
>  		- Tolstoy

 I think it needs to be clarified that "beastie" is
Not a devil.

 Beastie was aptly created to represent a Daemon.
 Simply correct them that it is not a devil or demon
but a Daemon.

>From Wikipedia:

"Many people equate the word daemon with the word
demon, implying some kind of Satanic connection
between UNIX and the underworld. This is an egregious
misunderstanding. Daemon is actually a much older form
of demon; daemons have no particular bias towards good
or evil, but rather serve to help define a person's
character or personality. The ancient Greeks' concept
of a personal daemon was similar to the modern concept
of a guardian angel --- eudaemonia is the state of
being helped or protected by a kindly spirit. As a
rule, UNIX systems seem to be infested with both
daemons and demons." (p403)

  Nicole

The Large Print Giveth And The Small Print Taketh Away
 -- Anon