Date:      Sat, 25 Nov 2000 19:24:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   MFC's to stable: descriptor races, low-memory fixes, disklabel

    A bunch of bugs relating to potential filesystem corruption were comitted
    to -stable last week and made it into the release.

    I've just now MFC'd the items that were too late for the release - the
    descriptor race fixes (a big issue if you use threads), the low-memory
    handling fixes (a big issue if you run heavily loaded systems), and the
    disklabel fixes (the ability to install a virgin label on a slice, so
    you don't have to use sysinstall to do it any more).

    If you run loaded or heavily threaded systems I recommend waiting a
    few days (in case any problems pop up) and then upgrading to the latest
    -stable.  Note that two additional panic()'s have been MFC'd from
    current to catch two illegal and potentially corruptive cases.
    It is possible, though unlikely, that certain systems will panic more
    often-- but if they do then it is also likely that the panic just saved
    you from a corrupted filesystem.  Be sure to report such panics!

    If you have not already upgraded to 4.2, I strongly recommend that you
    at least go that far.

    If you are still running 3.x, please keep in mind that due to their
    complexity very few of these bug fixes (as well as most of the serious
    security fixes that have gone in in the last two months) are being
    backported to 3.x.  You really need to think about upgrading to 4.x.

						-Matt