Date:      Thu, 01 Jun 2000 13:18:10 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Duke Normandin <dnormandin@freewwweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to close a ppp connection?

Duke Normandin wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 31, 2000 11:24 PM   Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Duke Normandin wrote:

> >> [snipped for brevity]

> >> Things work well when a person knows what to look for ;) I also searched
> >> the archives and found your previous posts re: pppctl to "flesh out" the
> >> above hints. I have a further question which concerns using `pppctl` as
> >> a normal user. I noticed that I'm not able to "get a status" or "hangup"
> >> (I have aliases set up) unless I frist  `su`. It seems a long-way around
> >> to kill a connection (from lynx, e.g.). Is the the normal way of doing
> >> things? I have set myself up in the wheel group (among others), so I
> >> thought that I would be able to use `pppctl` as "myself". In ppp.conf
> >> I also have:
> >>
> >> default:
> >>     allow users dnormandin
> >>
> >> Am I missing something -- or I should say *what* am I missing? Tia....
> >
> >I think you will find that your local domain socket, i.e.,
> >/var/run/internet or what ever you called it, has 544 privaledges for
> >root and wheel. If you auto start it, it will be owned by root. I
> >don't know any way around that.
>
> So if I abandonned auto-starting ppp, and ran it as a normal user via a
> sh script, could that solve the problem? And speaking of these sh scripts
> (e.g. -- the ones to "use" pppctl ) , ideally where should they live?

I have no experience doing user-ppp as a user. I only run them as root
and have a /root/bin directory that was added for root. I add root
stuff such as my .sh scripts into the bin directory. You could try
them as your user and create a /home/user/bin, add it to your path,
and see what happens. I auto start ppp and will su to shut my system
down. I'm hardly ever on the machine doing the ppp connection and it
is a telnet session to begin with. My ISP shuts me down at 8 hours of
connect and I usually drop and redial ppp so that I have a 8 hour
session to begin a LONG download. You feel kind of foolish when you
get up and only have 1 hour of download time before they dropped and
killed the ftp session :).

Kent

--
Kent Stewart