Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2000 13:07:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>
To:        kibbet <kibbet@knfpub.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bad blocks

On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, kibbet wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Quick question, how does the new ata driver handle bad blocks?
> I've been tracking -current since around Nov 99 but haven't
> seen this come up.

  As I recall, it doesn't. The reasoning is that modern IDE drives perform bad
block reassignment so if you are seeing bad block errors, then the entire
reserve of blocks available for reassignment has been exhausted. In which
case, things are Very Bad and you should start backing up your data ASAP.
  In you scenario of upgrading from the old wd driver in -stable to the new ad
driver in -current, the only advisable action is to just not do a bad block
scan under -stable before upgrading. The should stop the complaints from the
ad driver about the old-style bad block table.

  Kelly

--
Kelly Yancey  -  kbyanc@posi.net  -  Richmond, VA
Analyst / E-business Development, Bell Industries  http://www.bellind.com/