Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 01:01:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        ekholm@visi.com (Mike Ekholm)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: partition probs

Mike Ekholm wrote:
> I am trying to upgrade from 2.1.7.1 to 2.2.5 on my 486. I am having
> problems with the partition stage. It says "Writing partition information
> to drive wd0" and gets stuck there. no hard drive activity. I have let it
> sit for 2 hours, and nothing. Here is what I get under alt-F2:

> DEBUG: Add mapping for cuaa0 on /dev/ppp0
> pid 5 (sysinstall), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
> pid 6 (sysinstall), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
> pid 7 (sysinstall), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
>
> Can't open input file <tmp/doc.tmp>in dialog_textbox().
> pid 8 (sysinstall), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
> DEBUG: Scanning disk wd0 for root filesystem
> DEBUG: Scanning disk wd0 for swap partitions
> (end output)
>
> that is all I get (well, the bottom half of the screen)
> one other thing, I did not get the 2 pages about the upgrade warnings,
> just the yes/no prompt asking if i realy do want to upgrade (this all when
> I choose the upgrade option)
>
> How do I fix my partition problem?

I ran into a similar problem when doing an install with 2.2.6, and
attempting to define many partitions over three slices. I believe
mine puked because it couldn't mount the partitions. (Out of inodes).
this has a similar smell to it.

Try it again, making the slices, but only partitioning one slice
enough to get things going, (i.e. a minimal boot).  Do the remaining
partitioning after a bootable system with a good swap partition exists.

DV