Date:      Sun, 09 Jan 2000 06:10:00 +0900
From:      "R. Imura" <imura@cs.titech.ac.jp>
To:        andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM, ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        andreas@FreeBSD.org, se@FreeBSD.org, asami@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Qt/KDE/bsd.port.mk upgrade PRs imminent

Ok, we still have two selection.

A) We don't define USE_NEWGCC anymore.
   We can only play KDevelop with 4-CURRENT.
   (So, it will be a kind of port like linux_base-6.1, vmware, and ...)

B) Upgrade all of Qt ports to define USE_NEWGCC.

If "B", I'll show my openion to do so.

1) Notice the change to all maintainers.

2) Check if they(all of the ports which define USE_QT=yes) work under gcc-2.95,
   and prepare patches for them.
   If you see http://bento.freebsd.org/errorlogs/4-full/, some ports couldn't
   be built with gcc-2.95.2.
   Please once forget a new port. We should fix the ports we already have.

3) Commit.
   It doesn't require to change each Makefiles to define USE_NEWGCC=yes,
   only to change bsd.port.mk's USE_QT part to add one line (like USE_QT2).
   And we commit the patches to each port.
   It must be done at the same time.
   (If there are many patches, it will be ok that you show them in one PR
    or using web resource.)

Of cource, libs' change is necessary which you've already shown at
PR/15977,15988.

I don't like that there are two kind of Qt, one is NEWGCC'd other not, anymore.
This will make people confuse.
If you can't avoid prepare two, it would be better that they are master/slave
ports.

About USE_KDE in bsd.port.mk, I don't doubt, because we can say that
kdelibs is a kind of toolkit(I mean it is necessary from all kde apps).

There would be some objection.
Don't be in harry, otherwise sometimes something goes worse.

Last, only one problem.
I don't have enough time to check all ports.

---
R. Imura