Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2001 07:03:32 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
To:        Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CTM

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:

> I have noticed that the mirrors for CTM are very out of date.  The up to
> date CTM's are at ftp://ns3.saargate.de.  But that ftp server has low
> bandwidth, so it would be very helpful if the mirrors could be updated.

hi stephen,

as a mirror admin, i have to admit, i'm still not clear on what CTM
is and who uses it.  since you appear to..

o what is it ?
o where is the "master" site ?
o how much disk space does a full current CTM archive require ?
o how does one mirror it ?  rsync ?
o how does one make it available to end users ? (plain old http/ftp?)
o why would someone need access to it over the CVSup tree ?

> There is a folder pub/FreeBSD/CTM/x-faulty/ that need not be mirrored.

Why does this folder exist if it shouldn't be mirrored ?

> There is another issue.  The host computer that creates the CTM delta's
> sends them to ns3.saargate.de, and the copying process can take a long
> time (like 12 hours for files like cvs-cur.7300xEmpty.gz).  For this
> reason, there is a big possibility that if you download this file, you
> will only get half of it, because it is still in the process of being
> copied.  And you will have taken several hours to do this copy, in the
> process occupying a huge portion of the bandwidth of ns3.saargate.de.  I
> guess a few days later when your mirroring software runs again, you will
> see that your copy and ns3.saargate.de's copy are different.  Does that
> mean that it will be copied all over again?

unless locking is implemented, very probably.  how large is the file ? what
you've described above doesn't lend itself to mirroring/replication at all
well in its current setup.

-jason