Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 97 23:47:51 -0500
From:      Timothy J Luoma <luomat+freebsd+questions@luomat.peak.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   But I *read* the FAQ!!

http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ37.html#37

	2.17. I can't get past the boot manager's `F?' prompt.

	This is another symptom of the problem described in the
	preceding question. Your BIOS geometry and FreeBSD geometry
	settings do not agree! If your controller or BIOS supports
	cylinder translation (often marked as ``>1GB drive support''),
	try toggling its setting and reinstalling FreeBSD.

Ok, I admit, I didn't read this until AFTER the installation only to get
stuck at the

f1.....bsd
f?

prompt.

So I changed the setting on my Adaptec 2940 (``extended BIOS translation'')
from ENABLED to DISABLED.   Then I installed *again* (argh) and after it was
done it said

f1.....bsd
f?

ARGH!