Date:      Wed, 2 Jul 1997 19:12:54 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Jay D. Nelson" <jdn@qiv.com>
To:        Dan Strick <dan@math.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.2-RELEASE/Viper anomolies

On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, Dan Strick wrote:

->
->> Should all devices be parity enabled? -- or none?
->
->All devices should be parity enabled.  In most cases, they always
->generate SCSI bus parity and the "parity enable" option just causes
->them to check it.  You should always try to check the configuration
->of every SCSI device that you install on a system.  Vendors are
->particularly indifferent about enabling parity checking because

I've seen that too often. This drive was from SunOS 4.1.1+patches days.

[snip]

->than some new problem (e.g. an excessively long SCSI bus operating
->at a faster speed), or perhaps the tape drive has problems with
->synchronous SCSI bus transfers (something else that SS1s and SS1+s

Hmm... External cable is 1 meter. (Impedence mismatch?) I'll put it in the
case.

BTW -- while I said I've had no problems, that only applies when block
size is explicitly set to 512. Variable block size is unreliable.

Thanks for the feedback.

-- Jay

->didn't do by default on their motherboard SCSI bus).
->
->> Would putting it on a controller by itself be a benifit?
->
->I often do this with devices (such as a QIC tape drive) that are
->likely to hog the SCSI bus because the manufacturer doesn't want
->to spend more money on the SCSI interface than is necessary to
->make *his* device run at its full speed.  I also like to keep my
->SCSI busses short and splitting them up helps a lot.
->
->Dan Strick
->dan@math.berkeley.edu
->