Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 16:49:51 +0100 (MET)
From:      Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
To:        Flemming =?iso-8859-1?Q?Fr=F8kjk=E6r?= <flemming@froekjaer.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ipfw rules

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Flemming Frøkjkær wrote:

> I'm trying to build a firewall based on the simple firewall in the
> rc.firewall script
> after enabling the firewall I can't look up any addresses. If I use
> nslookup it just times out :(
> I can add a rule like this: ipfw add 9999 pass all from any to any
> Then everything works, but the firewall does not do me any good :(
> what rules should I add to make DNS work?

You must let DNS queries UDP out to port 53, and also let them back in
from port 53. Also DNS TCP out to port 53 should be allowed (I think).
Something like this:

ipfw add allow udp from any to DNS-IP 53 out via INTERFACE
ipfw add allow udp from DNS-IP 53 to any in via INTERFACE
ipfw add allow tcp from any to DNS-IP 53 out via INTERFACE

Good luck!

Best regards,
Paul