Date:      Thu, 07 Sep 2000 05:00:57 GMT
From:      "Andre I" <piekcen@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mt (tape) problem

Hi,
I am trying to do daily backup using dump. Here is my plan:

dump level 0 on monday, and dump level 5 every other days. Because I don't
have a lot of tape, I have to use one tape for the whole week. Fortunately,
it's big enough :)

the problem I have is here...
I made a script that log the result of mt status (so I know the file number
on the tape):

root# mt status
Mode      Density              Blocksize      bpi      Compression
Current:  0x27:Mammoth         variable       77611    IDRC
---------available modes---------
0:        0x27:Mammoth         variable       77611    IDRC
1:        0x27:Mammoth         variable       77611    IDRC
2:        0x27:Mammoth         variable       77611    IDRC
3:        0x27:Mammoth         variable       77611    IDRC
---------------------------------
Current Driver State: at rest.
---------------------------------
File Number: 3  Record Number: 0
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I want this!!!
--------------

the problem is, somebody might eject my tape in the morning and put it back.
So for my level 5 dump script, I want the drive to forward the tape to the
eof. I use "mt eom" for it.

root# mt eom
root# mt status
Mode      Density              Blocksize      bpi      Compression
Current:  0x27:Mammoth         variable       77611    IDRC
---------available modes---------
0:        0x27:Mammoth         variable       77611    IDRC
1:        0x27:Mammoth         variable       77611    IDRC
2:        0x27:Mammoth         variable       77611    IDRC
3:        0x27:Mammoth         variable       77611    IDRC
Current Driver State: at rest.

no file number!!!
how could I get the file number? it would be hard to restore from tape if I
don't know what the file number is =(

Any help would be greatly appreciate.