Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2006 11:00:49 -0800
From:      "Jack Vogel" <jfvogel@gmail.com>
To:        "Julian Elischer" <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Matt <matt@successfulhosting.com>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPMI During Boot

On 3/15/06, Jack Vogel <jfvogel@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/15/06, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org> wrote:
> >
> > Working with intel (TM) motherboards using the Intel Gb chips,
> > and talking to the intel reps last year (for my previous employer) I wa=
> > led to believe that
> > these chips supported IPMI by giving the BMC a back door into the same
> > NIC that the
> > OS was using.
> > (using an I2c (SMB) interface)
> > On the machines I used, I am pretty sure the bios gave the same MAC
> > address to the BMC
> > side of things as the OS side of theings by default, and we had is set
> > up so that we used the
> > same IP address also.
>
> well, i'm not positive about the MAC thing, but I am quite sure that on
> IBM xSeries systems you assigned a different IP address to the BMC,
> this was done in the BIOS. And, when I think about that, if it did have
> a seperate IP address then it musta had a seperate MAC too...
>
> Course, that was IBM hardware. I'll have to check up on this more
> at work tomorrow.
>
> So Julian, are you saying that you have seen this kind of functionality
> work on FreeBSD??

Hmm, well I've been told that using the same IP address or not should
both work :)

Matt, can you do a pciconf listing for me, I'd like to see exactly what
MAC you have. The most recent systems that are AMT capable
need some special code in the driver that FreeBSD doesnt yet have.
I'm wondering if that might be whats happening here.

Jack