Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 12:20:20 -0400
From:      "Allen Pulsifer" <pulsifer@mediaone.net>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <dillon@FreeBSD.ORG>

I am trying to figure out what to do with my /tmp directory under FBSD 4.1
I noticed that /tmp currently lives on the root file system, where I
am unable to get the benefit of softupdates or mounting "nosuid".
(Is that true?)

The handbook mentions mounting the swap partition on /tmp using the MFS.
To quote from http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig-config.html:

    options          MFS          #Memory Filesystem
    options          MD_ROOT      #MD is a potential root device

This is the memory-mapped filesystem. This is basically a RAM disk for fast storage of temporary files, useful if you have a lot of
swap space that you want to take advantage of. A perfect place to mount an MFS partition is on the /tmp directory, since many
programs store temporary data here. To mount an MFS RAM disk on /tmp, add the following line to /etc/fstab:

    /dev/ad1s2b    /tmp mfs rw 0 0

basically obsolete.  As I understood it, the regular file system has
sophisticated caching built in and effectively acts like a memory file
system if the files are small enough.  Conversely, using the MFS
results in two stages of caching and wastes RAM.  Is that correct?

I noticed Matt Dillon wrote a handbook section on the VM system at
http://www.freeBSD.org/handbook/internals-vm.html that includes
some info on tuning, but it doesn't mention what to do with /tmp.

So what's the bottom line?  Should I leave /tmp on the root file
system, create a dedicated partition for /tmp, or mount the
swap partition on /tmp using the MFS?

Thanks,

Allen