Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 2008 11:45:56 -0400
From:      Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Paul B. Mahol" <onemda@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11 <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [CFT] drm updates

--=-wTIz4Ov4BOHSxFGQX8gb

On Sun, 2008-08-24 at 12:29 +0200, Paul B. Mahol wrote:
> On 8/24/08, Robert Noland <rnoland@freebsd.org> wrote:
> > I've uploaded a final patch set to:
> >
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~rnoland
> >
> > I have committed this version to -CURRENT, but patches are available fo=
> > RELENG_7 as well.
> >
> > This version mostly just fixes a long standing memory leak.
> >
> > All of the reports for radeon have been good.  I'm still seeing a few
> > odd things with Intel though.  The most severe issue is on my 965gm.
> > After restarting X, it will hang in a way that I have never seen
> > before...  The small amount of evidence that I have been able to collec=
> > suggests that this may be due to mesa trashing the hardware.  I've spen=
> > a couple of days trying to figure out exactly what could be wrong.  Thi=
> > morning I rebuilt my kernel with a stock drm from src and I got exactly
> > the same hang.  Since this update does help lots of people and doesn't
> > seem to make things worse than they were to begin with, I went ahead an=
> > committed it.
> >
> > I was incorrect about the patch to libdrm... It isn't needed in 2.3.1
> > and it is already committed upstream.  I'll commit that update to ports
> > soon also.  It, along with a recent xf86-video-* are needed to enable
> > the new vblank behavior, which will disable vblank interrupts if there
> > are no active consumers.
> >
> > robert.
> >
>=20
> Do I need to update some ports? because with kernel from HEAD I have
> encountered problems when drm is loaded (agp + drm + i915)
> astro/stellarium caused deadlock, only mouse pointer could move, if I did=
 not
> started it, system will panic anyway after some time. I did not yet teste=
> vty switching,....

As I stated, intel is still a little quirky...  I'll try and look into
the interaction with agp.  The lockup you describe is the same as I am
seeing on my 965, but I only get it after a restart.  Does your xorg.log
indicate that pre-existing errors in hardware state are present?
specifically ESR being set?  If I'm reading the docs correctly, if ESR =3D
0x01 it is a parse error, which suggests that mesa may bee trashing the
hardware.  I did find a patch from one of the intel guys in the maze of
branches that might impact this, which I'm going to test out today.

I use gdm to start everything up and as long as I don't log out or
restart X everything works fine.  That doesn't really make sense to me,
but I'm still digging for a solution.  From the reports I've gotten,
radeon does not suffer this same issue.

robert.

> related hardware:
>=20
> hostb0@pci0:0:0:0:      class=3D0x060000 card=3D0x30a2103c chip=3D0x27a08=
086 rev=3D0x03
> hdr=3D0x00
>     vendor     =3D 'Intel Corporation'
>     device     =3D '955XM/945GM/PM/GMS/940GML Express Processor to DRAM
> Controller'
>     class      =3D bridge
>     subclass   =3D HOST-PCI
> vgapci0@pci0:0:2:0:     class=3D0x030000 card=3D0x30a2103c chip=3D0x27a28=
086
> rev=3D0x03 hdr=3D0x00
>     vendor     =3D 'Intel Corporation'
>     device     =3D 'Mobile 945GM/GU Express Integrated Graphics Controlle=
r'
>     class      =3D display
>     subclass   =3D VGA
> vgapci1@pci0:0:2:1:     class=3D0x038000 card=3D0x30a2103c chip=3D0x27a68=
086
> rev=3D0x03 hdr=3D0x00
>     vendor     =3D 'Intel Corporation'
>     device     =3D 'Mobile 945GM/GU Express Integrated Graphics Controlle=
r'
>     class      =3D display
>=20
> also if Xorg is never started, trying to unload agp.ko
> (after unloading i915.ko and drm.ko) module will cause panic.

--=-wTIz4Ov4BOHSxFGQX8gb

--=-wTIz4Ov4BOHSxFGQX8gb--