Date:      Sun, 03 Apr 2005 18:15:09 +0400
From:      "Andrew P." <infofarmer@mail.ru>
To:        Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de>
Cc:        "Michael C. Shultz" <ringworm01@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Some kind of intranet update system for FreeBSD?

Fabian Keil wrote:

>>>Its doable, providing both boxes have identical CPU's and
>>>the port build options on both have the same options. If the CPU's
>>>are not identical are you willing to build every thing to the lowest
>>>common denominator such as CPUTYPE?=i486 ?  If this is the
>>>case then really all you have to do is make sure you have
>>>a /usr/ports/packages dir on one machine then upgrade portmanager -u.
>>>This will put a package for everything upgraded
>>>into  /usr/ports/packages/All.  nfs share /usr/ports/packages/All
>>>directory with the other machine and on that one upgrade with something
>>>like portupgrade -aP.
>

>>Thanks, I'll try to do this via ftp. What about the
>>system itself? Is there an easy way to copy all the
>>binaries from one box to another?
>

> Your building machine can  share /usr/src/ via nfs.
> You can then do a "make buildworld" on the server
> and "make installworld" on every machine.
>
> If the kernels are the same, you can use the same build
> on every machine as well. As Michael has already mentioned,
> you have to keep /etc/make.conf general.

So basically, to substantially facilitate the update
process all we have to do is to share /usr/src and
/usr/ports folders?

Will it be ok to share them read-only if I do all the
building on the server?

Is it a serious security issue to give recursive
read-access to these folders to maliscious parties?
(I mean besides of letting them know versions of
all your server software).

Thanks,
Andrew P.

P.S. Still, IMHO a nicely-designed port would be
great. I mean we do have portupgrade for crying out
loud. If we have something for a network of freebsd
boxes, we could start talking enterprise-level
management.

P.P.S. What a pity that we don't have tarfs/ftpfs.
Okay, that's just a sidenote.