Date:      Sat, 9 May 2009 16:42:58 +0200
From:      "Paul B. Mahol" <onemda@gmail.com>
To:        Chris Whitehouse <cwhiteh@onetel.com>
Cc:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ndis0 interrrupt storm

On 5/8/09, Chris Whitehouse <cwhiteh@onetel.com> wrote:
> Paul B. Mahol wrote:
>> On 5/7/09, Chris Whitehouse <cwhiteh@onetel.com> wrote:
>>
>>> In the meantime I've tried the three possible drivers (XP, NT and an
>>> unlabelled one). I've also installed a recent 8-current snapshot,
>>> updated to latest source and built world, and tried the XP driver. Still
>>> get interrupt storms everywhere, also a panic (I think) in 8-current.
>>>
>>> Should I give up or are there other things to try?
>>
>> Panic should not happen. Please provide backtrace(or crashdump or
>> textdump)
>
> `fetch http://www.fishercroft.plus.com/vmcore.1.gz' should get a
> crashdump from a non-debug kernel, see below. It's about 17mb
>
> I built a driver with the XP driver using ndisgen and the same source as
> my recent build world.
>
> I kldload the driver module which also loads ndis.ko and if_ndis.ko.
>
> I've got
> wlans_ndis0="wlan0"
> in rc.conf and I get ndis0 and wlan0 created when I plug in the card.
>
> The interrupt storm starts when I do
>
> # ifconfig wlan0 <ip addr>
>
> The panic occurs maybe a minute or two after the ifconfig.
>
> I got a panic but I couldn't get a crashdump with the GENERIC kernel
> (nothing relevant to dumpon or savecore happened at all, no boot
> messages, nothing in /var/crash).
> I did get a bunch of stuff on ttyv0, I can post a photo somewhere if
> required. Or is there a way to get the screen output in text format?
>
> I built a kernel with the following changes
>
> #cpu            I486_CPU
> #cpu            I586_CPU
>
> #makeoptions    DEBUG=-g                # Build kernel with gdb(1) debug

Oh nooooo, crash dump is useless with that option commented in kernel.
[You can alway just look at documentation installed in /usr/share/doc/,
for example developers handbook]

> symbols
>
> #options        KDB                     # Enable kernel debugger support.
> #options        DDB                     # Support DDB.
> #options        GDB                     # Support remote GDB.
> #options        INVARIANTS              # Enable calls of extra sanity
> checking
> #options        INVARIANT_SUPPORT       # Extra sanity checks of
> internal structures, required by INVARIANTS
> #options        WITNESS                 # Enable checks to detect
> deadlocks and cycles
> #options        WITNESS_SKIPSPIN        # Don't run witness on spinlocks
> for speed
Both KDB, DDB, GDB, WITNESS and INVARIANTS are usefull in debugging kernel.
So please uncomment all that debugging support.
After all you can build two kernels, and use boot loader command or nextboot(8)

> I got on ttyv0:
>
> interrupt storm detected on "irq11:"; throttling interrupt source
>
> repeated about 20 times then
>
> Sleeping thread (tid 100084, pid 0) owns a non-sleepable lock

Heh, thats is bug, now only remains to find where it is caused.

> panic: sleeping thread
> cpuid = 0
> Uptime:17m26s
> Physical memory: 434 MB
> Dumping 79 MB: 64 48 32 16
> Dump complete
>
> (The above typed by hand)
>
> Let me know if there is more I can do but (caveat) I'm not a developer
> and I only put CURRENT on the machine to test if the problem had been
> fixed, ie please don't flame me if you ask me really difficult stuff and
> I don't understand it :)

You can always ask me off list for anything that you don't understand.

--
Paul