Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 2008 19:09:42 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, parish@magichamster.com
Subject:   Re: Effects of CPUTYPE

Jonathan Chen wrote:
 > Mark Ovens wrote:
 > > Trying to identify why I should be having all these problems I've been
 > > looking for anything that may be specific to my machine. One thing I've
 > > come up with is the fact that I have CPUTYPE?=athlon-mp in
 > > /etc/make.conf on both 6.3 and 7.0.
 >
 > In my personal opinion, the small gain you get is more than
 > overwhelmed by the big pain you get from setting CPUTYPE.

I'm setting CPUTYPE on all of my machines for many years,
without the slightest problems.  No pain at all.  They're
all kinds of different processors, c3-2 (VIA), athlon64,
and so on.  In some cases the difference is very noticable.

Having said that, it's certainly worth trying whether your
problems are gone when you compile without that setting.

Do you have any other unusual settings, such as non-standard
CFLAGS or anything?

BTW, I once was bitten by a similar problem, when building
software failed in strange ways, it turned out I had a bad
variable in my environment that was picked up by some build
scripts.  Maybe it's worth a try to run your ports builds
with a clean environment ("env -"), or try to install
binary packages instead of building ports yourself, in
order to narrow down where the problem is.

Best regards
   Oliver

"Python tricks" is a tough one, cuz the language is so clean. E.g.,
C makes an art of confusing pointers with arrays and strings, which
leads to lotsa neat pointer tricks; APL mistakes everything for an
array, leading to neat one-liners; and Perl confuses everything
period, making each line a joyous adventure <wink>.
        -- Tim Peters