Date:      Mon, 12 May 97 08:48:31 -0400
From:      Yves Lepage <yves@CC.McGill.CA>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   An idea, it is possibly good

Hi all,

here's an idea to enhance file systems's usefulness: virtual partitioning.

Let's say I have a FreeBSD system on one big partition. Virtual partititioning would
allow me for example to 'reserve' space for specified directories (at mount time let's say).
Examples:

1- / is 1GB, I reserve 250 MB for /var/log. It means / will get full at 750MB.
2- / is 2GB, I reserve 750 MB for / not including /var/log. It means, /var/log can never
   fill / up. / gets full at 750MB and /var/log gets full at 1250MB.
3- / is 2GB, I reserve 750 MB for / not including /var/log. I reserve 250MB for /var/log. The rest
   is free unallocated space I may choose to reserve/allocate later, like spare space.

Ideally, the reservations could be made/altered on a mounted file system, possibly
using a remount with options.

I'm not the one who's going to implement that, I am just providing the idea.

Regards,
Yves Lepage