Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 2003 17:26:50 -0500
From:      Mike Galvez <mrg8n@virginia.edu>
To:        "W. J. Williams" <will@willardjwilliams.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NIS not working (now it is :-)

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 01:46:43PM -0800, W. J. Williams wrote:

> --- Mike Galvez <mrg8n@virginia.edu> wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 12:19:01PM -0800, W. J. Williams wrote:
> > > see bottom..

> > client.

> > > ***************************************
> > >
> > > ok, thx. tried that...no dice...after adding the user with pw...I had
> > > do a passwd testuser and add a password.  could not log client though.
> > > am trying to open a ssh connection from master to client....any other
> > > ideas?
> >
> > Was that passwd or yppasswd? After the yppasswd, you will need to run
> > make in /var/yp to propagate the change.

> Hi Mike, thx for helping...seems it works now..here's what I did/learned.
>
> I mirrored the rc.conf of all of my clients in my lab AND "touched" all
> master.passwd files with vipw instead of vi  I can log into all of them
> now with the testuser account. Some more things I learned (correct me if I
> am wrong)
>
> 1.  always use vipw if you have to mess with master.passwd

True

> 2.  the order of what you call in rc.conf is important (I still don't know
> what f**** order that is supposed to be, but it seemed to make a
> difference.
> 3. after changing "mapped" files, you need to manually run "make
> XXXX=/etc/XXX nisdomain" to udpate the files.
>
> 4.  per your email below...I made the account using your string, and then
> did a "passwd testuser" to add a password.  should i have used yppassword?

From the yppasswd man page: If a user exists in the NIS password database but does not
exist locally, passwd automatically switches into ``yppasswd'' mode.  If the specified
user does not exist in either the local password database of the NIS password maps,
passwd returns an error.

My reply with the pw useradd string should have been :

pw useradd testuser -m -Y -y /var/yp/master.passwd

omit -m if you don't want to build the users home folder.

--
Michael Galvez             http://www.people.virginia.edu/~mrg8n
University of Virginia        Messenger Mail: Carruthers Hall

Fresco's Discovery:
	If you knew what you were doing you'd probably be bored.