Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 1997 14:46:28 +0800
From:      "David May, at a FreeBSD 2.2.2 host, somewhere in the Outback" <mayd@chrysanthemum.localdomain>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problem with finger and X.

I have just noticed that programs such as finger, who, w and last do not show
me if I login via xdm on the console. This problem has only occurred since I
upgraded to FreeBSD 2.2.2 (from 2.1.7). If I login from other (non-X)
terminals these programs do show me.

I checked the utmp file and there is no record for my login xterm.  My
.xsmstartup file contains a line "xterm -ls" and this xterm does execute when
I login via xdm.

The problem occurs for any users who login via xdm, except root.  If I login
as root a record does appear in the utmp file and finger etc work.

Can anybody suggest a solution to this problem?

--
David May	mailto: mayd@cygnus.uwa.edu.au
		PGP Public Key: finger mayd@cygnus.uwa.edu.au