Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 1999 00:25:04 -0500
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Kent Chelius <kchelius@ic.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can I use a Deltec PRA 400 Smart Ups on your FreeBSD

> Kent Chelius wrote:
>
> Can I use a Deltec PRA 400 Smart Ups on your FreeBSD. If so Where do I
> get the software for this, is it built into the system or is it a
> addon.
>
> I would love to have this information, can you get back with me about
> this..
>
> I would like to have the server shut down when power goes out.
>
> This is for a school system in Ypsilanti, Michigan.

To my knowledge, there is no canned software package for a
Deltec UPS.

If the UPS communicates through the serial port, perhaps you can
write an expect script to do what you want. Expect is available
in the ports or packages collections. IE;  you monitor the
serial port for something like "Battery Low", or whatever
your UPS sends when it's going to shut down, then you
do a graceful shutdown of the system. It would only take
a few lines of script to do this. The idea is that you
"expect" a certain string from the UPS to initiate an
action, like shutting down the system. You can also "Send"
strings to the UPS to interrogate it if you wish.

--
Jim Durham