Date:      Sat, 15 Jan 2000 18:39:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        new-bus@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hints vs unit numbers

On Sat, 15 Jan 2000, Warner Losh wrote:
> I just received some patches for a pci sio attachment for current.
> One problem is that pci is scanned before isa.  All the devices that
> were hard wired with hints shift one because the unit numbers they
> were trying to use are already in use if the pci modem attaches to
> sio0.  What's the right thing to do here? Cope with not being able to
> hardwire devices to unit numbers, or is there some trick that I've
> missed for doing this....

Weird.  Hint devices 'already exist' before any other devices unless the
ISA hint identify method runs after the PCI code has done its work.  If
this is the case then we somehow need to run it before.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |