Date:      Fri, 16 Sep 2005 02:01:11 +1000
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        Jason King <jking@informs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Software RAID1

> Andrea Venturoli wrote:

>>I used that tutorial on different machines and it has always worked.
>>Maybe you have to substitute da0 with something else, that depends on
>>your hardware. Can you provide a your dmesg at boot time?
>>
>> bye
>>    av.

Hi Jason:
1) please do NOT top post (i.e., don't reply @ the top of the email, it
makes hell of understanding the thread). I've reordered this reply.

Jason King wrote:
 > The instructions say to use ad0 and ad1 as the /dev names but those
 > devices don't exist on my server. The device names are da0 and da1.

if you have scsi drives, it'll be da# (direct access #), S/PATA drives =
  ad# .

Hence you *seem* to be using the right command.

I'd
 > be glad to post anything you wish, but I don't know what the dmesg is,
 > or how I get it. Can you tell me where I can get that information?
 >
 > Jason

2) man dmesg

and, btw, the steps in that howto definitely work...as a guide, just
like any how to. there are always tweaks here and there to be done,
which is why you should understand the steps rather than following them
blindly and expecting them to work in your situation (although the
gmirror bootstrap guide you refer to is actually pretty good).

Beto