Date:      Mon, 05 Jul 1999 13:17:39 -0700
From:      "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.Org>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        mtaylor@cybernet.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, Mark Wilcox <mewilcox@unt.edu>
Subject:   Re: LDAPed FreeBSD

This discussion is diverging a bit from this list's charter.  Hence,
I'll be brief.

Amancio Hasty wrote:
> True LDAP (v2 or v3) does not provide record locking . Now the question is
> does Novell's NDS 8 -- a native LDAP v3 -- , Oracle's Directory
> Server or Microsoft Active Directory does if they do then how ?

Commonly through other directory (or database) access mechanisms.  Or,
possibly, though some private or experimental LDAPv3 control or extended
op they added to their client/servers (LDAPv3 is an extensible protocol).

> Again my emphasis is on configuring network services or other system services
> if appropiate and to provide a HTML interface which is sufficiently rich to be
> user friendly.

I think this would be a fine use of LDAP.

Kurt