Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 00:15:38 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Alan Litchfield <alan@alphabyte.co.nz>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: lpd and lpr

At 2:59 PM +1300 2/26/02, Alan Litchfield wrote:
>  Clearly /var is too small so is there some way I can set the
>  spooler to use /home? Or can I send the Postscript file directly
>  to the printer (which has it's own hard drive), in which case
>  would the system still need to create a spool file before download?

 From other your other message, you mentioned your printcap entry
looked like:

remote|lp|lpr|hplj-5|:lp:\
         :sh:\
         :rm=192.168.6.8:rp=RAW:\
         :mx#0:\
         :if=/usr/local/libexec/lprps:sd=/home/spool/lpd/hplj-5:\

I assume you have some more lines to that, because that last line
ends with the continuation character (the "\").  In any case, that
'sd=' entry is what sets where that single printer queue will put
whatever files it is spooling.  So, it should be that the files
are already going to a partition which has plenty of room.

You might want to check the /usr/local/libexec/lprps, to see if
it is creating files in /tmp or /var.

>PS Just saving the dumb question for last. How do I set the lpd
>    service to start on boot?

If you check in /etc/defaults/rc.conf, you should notice a variable
described in there called "lpd_enable".

You would want to add the line:

lpd_enable="YES"

to the file /etc/rc.conf (not /etc/defaults/rc.conf!).