Date:      Sat, 21 Oct 2000 12:09:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rudy <rudy@monkeybrains.net>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   '/kernel: Too many dynamic rules, sorry'

I got '/kernel: Too many dynamic rules, sorry' for the first time.
To got rid of keep-state on my port 80 and the problem went away.

[1] Are other people using keep-state webservers?  What are their sysctl
values?

I noticed the default hash size is '256'.  The /etc/default/make.conf
recommends a prime number for the 'top' hash table:
# top(1) uses a hash table for the user names.  The size of this hash
# can be tuned to match the number of local users.  The table size should
# be a prime number approximately twice as large as the number of lines in
# /etc/passwd.

Also there are various articles recommending prime numbers for hashes
 on the web:
http://pauillac.inria.fr/caml/man-caml/node15.8.html

[2] Does primeness matter with net.inet.ip.fw.dyn_buckets?

Wondering what to set the sysctl values to, I searched some more and found
luigi's advice:
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=285503+0+archive/2000/freebsd-net/20000220.freebsd-net

I am running a server and saw this comment:
'Note, this behaviour is probably appropriate for a workstation.'

[3] Should I not use keep-state on servers?

[4] A nice feature would be the ability to extend timeouts within the ipfw
ruleset for specific ports.  For instance, I'd like to change the timeout
for my ssh connections from 5 minutes to 60 minutes. Something like:
allow tcp from any to any 22 keep-state ack-lifetime 3600 in recv fxp0 setup

Rudy