Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 12:48:41 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: speaking of 3.4...

At 06:58 PM 11/23/99 +0200, Vadim Belman wrote:
>	Hm, I know few people who think twice before choosing FreeBSD for
>	their needs. They think versions change too fast. For some this is
>	a sign of bad stability (heh...) others just scared of necessity of
>	following the releases.
>
>	Surely enough, I do explain the real situation whenever
>	possible. But how many are still thinking wrong way? How many users
>	does FreeBSD lose because of revisions chapping and and changing?
>	(We must remember that what seems normal for us is a black box for
>	decent users.)

Well, I am sure there are people out there using NT4.0 without any service
packs (let alone hot fixes), or security hole infested applications (e.g.
root exploitable qpoopper).  That sort of attitude is a problem when
approaching any OS.  FreeBSD 2.x and 3.x has been the most stable platform
we use here period.  If your customers/users are worried about the oh so
many releases, tell them there is only one release. 3.[1-4] are 4 service
packs to FreeBSD 3.  Wait, that term might tarnish the good name of FreeBSD!

Here is one of our internal servers
% uptime
12:45PM  up 526 days,  5:39, 3 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

	---Mike