Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 2002 08:27:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        behanna@zbzoom.net
Subject:   Re: Unsopported relocation type?

In article <20020409090542.R5710-100000@topperwein.dyndns.org>,
Chris BeHanna  <behanna@zbzoom.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Karl M. Joch wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > i got that one on a freebsd 4.5 server running mostly only samba 2.2.3a with
> > about 50 workstations.
> >
> > /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1:
> > /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.2: Unsupported relocation type 85 in non-PLT
> > relocations
>
> PLT == Procedure Linkage Table
>
>     Supposedly, this type of error can occur when non-PIC code is
> linked into a shared object.

I don't think it's that.  The valid relocation types are the values
0 thru 10.  85 is way out of range and would be invalid for any i386
executable or library, whether PIC or not.

BTW, linking non-PIC code into a shared library generally works.  It's
just inefficient.

>     It could also be caused by a non-corrected bit error in memory
> (cosmic ray at an inopportune time while the rtld was doing its
> thing?).

Yes, I'm betting it's that or a corrupted file.

John
--
  John Polstra