Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 1998 14:24:28 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        george <george@bri.net.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01BD9B24.A919A500

Hi,

On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, george wrote:

First, please format your messages to be 80 columns wide or it makes
things difficult to read.  Second, HTML is a bad idea (at least it came
through as an attachment, but I believe it was just a copy of your ASCII
message).  Your mail program should be configurable to these standards.

-snip machine descriptions:  these sound fine-

> The main software that I use is Photoshop 4.01, K.P.Tools 3. Bryce3D &
> Ulead Photoimpact, Cool 3D, etc.(graphic artist).

Here we run into a moderate problem.  There is not a lot of graphics
software available for the free Unices.  That said, The Gimp is a sort of
combination Photoshop/Illustrator piece of software that works fairly well
for what I've used it for and it might suit your needs.  There's an
associated vector drawing program, GYVE, which should complement Gimp.
You can check The Gimp out at:

	http://www.gimp.org/

In terms of 3D possibilities, Blender is now out for FreeBSD and although
I haven't tried it, what I've heard suggests it is nice.  You can check
out Blender at:

	http://www.neogeo.nl/blender.html

It may be that that these programs won't suit your purposes in which case
switching to FreeBSD may not be that useful to you.

If it doesn't seem that FreeBSD is what you need, you might think about
trying a Mac. There are certainly many graphic artists who use Macs and
you could then still have Photoshop, KPT Bryce etc...

Feel free to ask further questions if you have them.

Good luck!

Brett